Thursday, January 27, 2011

Happy Birthday John!

John turned 26 on January 5th!  John isn't a huge fan of big birthday celebrations, which seems absolutely crazy to me since I like to celebrate my birthday for the entire month.  I always like to do something special :)  This year John requested a homemade dinner and an apple pie - from SCRATCH (probably because he knows what a great cook I am).  If you know me, clearly that is a joke.  But being the great fiance that I am, I obliged and made chicken parmesan and the apple pie.  I was pretty proud of my cooking, so I took a picture. (Ignore the random assortment of placemats haha)


John's B-day dinner
Thanks to my great friend Morgan I was able to make John's wishes of an apple pie come true.  Here are a couple before and after pics of the pie.


If you would like to make a great pie of your own, here is the recipe - compliments of the great Morgan Sattler.  Sidenote:  Most people probably know that you are supposed to peel the apples.  Being the amateur cook that I am, I forgot.  The pie was still DELICIOUS, but I think I would peel the apples next time :)

Ingredients:
6 apples, 3 golden delicious, 3 granny smith. Cored and sliced
1/3 c brown sugar
1/3 c white sugar
1 Tablespoon flour
1 Tablespoon cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg

Mix above together well.  Place into pie crust.

Crumb topping:
3/4 c flour
3/4 c. butter
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 c. brown sugar
1/4 c. white sugar

Cut with pastry blender until mixed well, pile/press onto top of pie.
Bake 400 - for 15 mins
        350 - 35-40 mins. Will be bubbly and crust and topping golden.

I think John really enjoyed the meal and it was a success!  I actually really enjoy cooking and baking, it's just a matter of finding the time to really learn and practice.
Happy Birthday babe - looking forward to spending the rest together (and married)! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment